Saturday, December 5, 2015

CAN A 41 YEAR OLD STILL BE A BRAT?



Hot on the heels of her appearance on a TV show I don't watch, Da Brat Tat Tat is brat tat back with the help of Sage the Gemini and Eric Bellinger. Da Brat been on my mind since ya boy was scarred for life after watching the Making the Video for "That's What I'm Lookin' For," a visual feast of twitching male nipples that really put the jiggy in gigolo.

"#YAK (You Already Know)" feels more like a throwaway Sage joint featuring Da Brat, and that's basically what it is. I like how my girl hashtagged her shit up just like the kids do #ayotechnology. One of the democratizing effects of the post-major label model is that any Columbia House castaway can hazard a comeback with nothing more than a SoundCloud and a dream, whether we want to hear from them or not. Or is my girl still signed to So So Def? Better still, is So So Def even a going concern these days? J.D. needs to go the CBGB route and turn his label into a tshirt factory, 'cause that logo is right up there with the Quaker Oat Man and the mothafuckin Pep Boys.

2 comments: